Thursday, January 13, 2005

How to stretch a sunset ...

Am at Hong Kong airport at the moment in a 1 hour stopover inbetween my 9 hour Sydney-Hong Kong flight and my 12 hour Hong Kong-Johannesberg. At least 'A Shark's Tale' is on during this next leg ... I'm going to go and grovel for a business class upgrade methinks.

The great thing about afternoon flights that go west are ...
... They stretch out the sunset. My flight today left around 4:15pm Sydney time, and some 4 hours into the flight I'd just finished watching 'Wimbledon' (there weren't many alternatives, honest!) and was ready to write my journal, when I thought I'd get some fresh rays ...

I've just opened the window and been greeted by a gorgeous sunset, which then was covered by a cloud next time I looked. Grace revealed and grace removed? I don't think so. Somehow, it's all grace ... and even as I write this sentence the evening sky has been transformed into a set of that beautiful orange-purple-blue tinge ....
It went on and on and on, for about 2 hours, always changing. Sometimes I thought it was over and the sky had gone all grey, when suddenly a burst of orange would come out of nowhere. It was fantastic to watch this light show (and all for free!). The best thing was, I had my mp3 player on me too so it was all accompanied by 1980s love songs ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure that the light show was free.....after all the flight costs a fair bit of money! Oh well, I hope all goes well. The journey has only just begun.....